E&N Rail Trail
IMAGINE A NEW MULTI-USE TRAIL connecting downtown Victoria and the Galloping Goose to Neighbourhoods in Esquimalt and View Royal and to destinations like Theits Lake and Goldstream Park.
click to enlarge
The CRD and local governments already support the vision. Now we need to convince provincial and federal governments that this is a project worth investing in.
- Compliments the future of commuter rail
- Provides safety – keeps trespassers off rail
- Generates an eco-tourism ‘loop’ with the Galloping Goose Trail
- Promotes smart growth / density
- Offers economic development opportunities
- Links to major parks, including View Royal’s Portage Park and Goldstream
- Connects neighbourhoods and municipalities
- Helps preserve the history along the E&N line
- Builds on the successes of other...
E&N Rail Trail Endorsements
Endorses the E&N Rail Trail
“Reliable Controls strongly endorses the E&N multi-use trail. We challenge other businesses to also offer their talent and resources towards this project’s successful conclusion. We encourage the municipal, provincial and federal governments to equitably cost-share the project. Together we can make it a relaity by 2010!”
Reliable Controls will be actively contributing to help make the trail a reality by 2010. They are assisting with marketing for the project including writing, graphics development, and web design.
The galleries below will take you to a slideshow of photos of the current E&N Railway line. The second gallery is of projects that have been completed and are successfully being used in Nanaimo, Seattle, and Portland. Please take some time to browse and see the and see the true potential of the E&N Railway line.
E&N Railway Line
Successful Rail Trail’s
Rails with trails in Madison, Wisconsin
If you have photos of the E&N Railway line that you would like to submit, please email John Luton.
- References on the Relationship between Bike Trails and Crime/Property Values
- The definitive study of rails with trails; Project managed by Mia Birk, Alta Planning + Design
- Rails with Trails – Design, Management and Operating Characteristics by Hugh Morris et al
- From Leisure Trends Monitor, Fall 2004, by Anne Robinson
- Trails and High Speed Rail, by Mia Birk of Alta Planning + Design
How You Can Help
Capital Bike and Walk Society is launching our campaign to help build support for the E&N Multi-Use Rail Trail. You can help by making a donation.
|This important project will:|
- Encourage cycling and walking
- Help reduce congestion on our roads
- Improve regional air quality by promoting alternative modes of transportation.
- Boost business by building on Victoria’s reputation as a green destination
You’ll be supporting:
- Workshops to help design the trail
- Campaigns to government funders
- “Virtual” tours to attract visitor interest in the new project
To make a donation, send a cheque or money order made out to Capital Bike and Walk to Capital Bike and Walk Society – 22 Philippa Place – Victoria, BC V8S 1S6.
You can help turn the E&N Rail Trail into reality. Write your local council and the CRD to tell them you support the trail.
Send a letter to your MP or MLA and let them know that this is an important project that will need federal and provincial funding to make it happen. Use our “E&N Rail Trail briefing note” to help make points about why it is important to you.
Join our postcard campaign – pick one up at Victoria area bike stores and send it to Capital Bike and Walk. We’re gathering postcards to show that people care about this project. We need to convince governments at all levels that the rail trail should be an investment priority.
Here’s how you can find your local representatives:
|Capital Regional District|
|Write to:||Christopher Causton, Chair
CRD Parks Committee
625 Fisgard Street
Victoria, BC V8W 1R7
|Find your local council members|
|Province of British Columbia|
|Write to:||Honourable Gordon Campbell
PremierHonourable Kevin Falcon
Minister of TransportationHonourable Stan Hagen
Minister of Toursim, Sport and the Arts
Honourable Gordon Hogg
|At:||PO Box 9041
Stn Prov Gov’t
Victoria, BC V8W 9E1
|Find your local MLA|
|The Government of Canada|
|Write to:||Right Honourable Stephen Harper
Prime MinisterHonourable Lawrence Cannon
Minister of TransportationHonourable Rona Ambrose
Minister of the Environment
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
|Find your Memeber of Parliment (MP)|